Because your privacy is very important to us, Scribendi operates by these principles:
- The Scribendi website ("Site") is maintained by Scribendi Inc., 405 Riverview Drive, Suite 304, Chatham, Ontario, N7M 0N3. Scribendi Inc. is a company federally incorporated in Canada.
- Our use of any personal information you provide to Scribendi is regulated and protected by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada, including Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
- To the extent that Scribendi collects any information from our visitors and users, whether that information is personally identifying or not, either from actively provided information, "cookies," or our web hosting service, Scribendi uses such information only for our own purposes relating to providing our editing and proofreading services. Such information is not knowingly provided to any third parties except as explicitly disclosed herein.
- When you visit our Site, our server collects information ("server logs") regarding the pages you request, your IP address, and the server's success in sending you the page you requested. These server logs are used for diagnostic and maintenance purposes and to produce aggregated statistics that we may use to monitor and improve our services.
- Your web browser may accept a "session cookie" that allows the web server to associate your requests with each other and to distinguish them from the requests of other visitors. The "session cookie" is a random string of letters and numbers and contains no personally identifying information.
- Your web browser sends information "request headers" to any site you visit to let the site know what language(s) you prefer to see the site displayed in. You can control this information using the options or preferences settings in your browser software. This information is used only to serve the current request and for system diagnostics.
- When you use our Site search page, the search terms you requested and the top results displayed may be remembered to monitor and improve the accuracy of the search results that the search page provides. This information is not used by us for other purposes.
When Contacting Scribendi
- Your personal information, including the contact details you provide, is used to respond to any email, website, postal, or telephone query you make.
- If your inquiry is about an order you have already placed, your inquiry will be correlated with the information regarding that order.
- Information regarding your query and our response may be retained to assist us in fulfilling future orders, for example when you ask us for a quote or to create a customized service for you, or to answer further queries from you.
- Information regarding your query and our response may be used to monitor or improve our customer service procedures.
Placing an Order with Scribendi
- We provide SSL/TLS encryption to ensure the secure transmission of your information when you place an order, including your payment details, and your documents. The strength of the encryption will usually be 256-bit or higher. We recommend using the latest version of your web browser software to ensure that strong encryption is supported by your browser. You accept responsibility for ensuring the activation of the security features of your browser or computer that enable it to communicate your information securely to our Site.
- When you place an order for services, we ask for the following:
- Your name, email address, and telephone number
- Your billing address
- The document(s) you require service on and any special instructions relating to the service you order
- Payment details (if you pay by credit card or electronic check)
This information is used to fulfill your order, to allow you to track your order, and to contact you if it is necessary to clarify your instructions or the process, to collect payment, or to otherwise complete your order.
- When you pay by credit card, we disclose information as required to verify your identity and to process your payment, according to the terms and conditions by which each credit card or payment system operates, only to your bank or card issuer and our bank or payment processors.
- When you pay by PayPal or another electronic payment service (e-payment service), we provide information as required by the system, including your order number and the amount and currency of payment required, to the e-payment service you select.
- Banks and e-payment services may monitor financial activity for legal reasons or to ensure compliance with their terms of service to you and to us. Therefore, we may occasionally provide additional details regarding your order or transaction for these purposes upon request.
- We may use information collected and provided to us by the sites where we advertise to track the success of our advertising campaigns and thereby keep our costs and prices low. This information is aggregated and, therefore, does not contain any personally identifying information.
- Information on an order received is retained after the order is completed for legal purposes, including tax, audit, and corporate records, and may also be used for customer service and order fulfillment purposes where several orders are in some way similar or related, such as the chapters of the same manuscript or thesis or a sequel. Information may also be used for internal business and research purposes or to help enhance, evaluate, and develop our products and services, and/or to develop new products and services, such as developing different machine learning technologies in the area of Natural Language Processing that will help to improve the quality of our services. If you are concerned about personal information in the documents that we edit as part of our services, we encourage you to insert placeholders for any personal information.
Providing Feedback to Scribendi
- Your feedback is valuable. We like to know when we've done well and when we can improve. The feedback and reviews you provide for completed orders will be correlated with the information regarding the order the feedback relates to. We may also contact you to respond to the feedback you provide.
- If you provide feedback through our Site, you may choose to permit us to publish it in the testimonials section of our Site and elsewhere. If you permit us to do this through our Site, we will publish the first name or nickname you provide and your general location (not your address), and we will edit your comments to remove any other personally identifying information. If you choose to provide feedback through our partner, Shopper Approved, you give permission for it to be displayed on our Site and in the review sections of Google, Yahoo, and Bing with your first name and last initial. Reviews from Shopper Approved will not be edited.
Creating an Account with Scribendi
- Creating an account is optional. You are not required to create an account to place orders with Scribendi. When you create an account, your name, address, email address, and phone number are stored for your use on future visits to our Site. You may also store language and currency preferences in your account. You must log in to access your account.
- You may also establish a business account with us and link several accounts together under this account. To do this, we will ask for business information and payment details for the business account and will associate that information with the personal information you have provided.
- If you create an account, you will have access to tracking information on all orders you place. If your account is linked to a business account, you consent to information on all orders you place being provided to the person(s) responsible for the business account.
- Through your account, you can choose to receive newsletters and special offers from Scribendi by email. This option is not on by default and is not a requirement for creating an account. You may also choose to turn this option on or off at any time by logging into your account.
Connecting to Cloud Services
While placing or picking up an order with Scribendi, you may choose to connect to your accounts on third-party services such as Dropbox or Google Drive to transfer files. We use OAuth, an open standard for access delegation, to do this so that we do not store any information about your account with the third-party service. If you select a file for a quote, a copy of that file will be temporarily transferred to us for the purpose of providing your quote. If you attach a file to an order, we will retain a copy of that file and attach it to your order.
When creating an account with Scribendi, you may choose to sign in using a third-party service such as Google or Facebook. We use OAuth, an open standard for access delegation, to do this. We will store a unique identifier for your account on the third-party service to enable you to sign in to your Scribendi account in the future. You may authorize your third-party service provider to provide us with details of your name, address, email address, and/or phone number to pre-populate your Scribendi account details.
- Scribendi may, from time to time, make use of analytics advertising features, including but not limited to remarketing, remarketing with analytics, display network impression reporting, and demographics and interest reporting. This is done via advertising cookies and anonymous identifiers. If you wish to opt out of these features, you may do so through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI's consumer opt-out). Please also see https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
- Scribendi may contract third parties to analyze other data provided to us, on an aggregate basis and subject to a non-disclosure agreement, for the purpose of improving our services.
- We do not share personal information or your documents with any third parties except as disclosed in this policy. We may need to disclose personal and other information we hold as a result of a legal process or for other reasons required or allowed by applicable laws. If we believe that a crime, tort, or other illegal act, including payment fraud, has taken place or is about to take place, we may voluntarily disclose relevant personal information to the police, courts, or other competent authorities.
Agents, Successors, and Assigns
Recourse and Dispute Resolution
- Any personal information you provide to Scribendi is regulated by Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. You have the right to know what personal information Scribendi holds about you and to request a correction of any errors or omissions therein. We reserve the right, as required by law, to ask for additional evidence of your identity to ensure that the personal information we hold is disclosed only to you. Please direct all such inquiries by post and enclose a copy of a document that confirms your identity (i.e., your driving license) to: The Data Protection and Privacy Officer, Scribendi Inc., 405 Riverview Drive, Suite 304, Chatham ON N7M 0N3, Canada.