Scribendi is the world's leading editing and proofreading service. Our company mission is to help writers reach their highest potential and achieve their goals. Headquartered in Chatham, Ontario, we offer a corporate culture that promotes collaboration and encourages creativity and innovation. This is your chance to join an energetic and motivated team in an inviting environment founded on flexibility and continuous learning.
As a global company, we offer two equally beneficial employment options: working at our corporate headquarters in Chatham, Ontario, or working remotely from the comfort of your home.
Customer Relationship Specialist
The successful candidate will have the ability to work well with others and have strong written and verbal communication skills, who is also able to work independently. The position entails working a combination of days, afternoon and weekend shifts provided in a monthly schedule. The CRS carefully reads and replies to emails and phone calls by providing accurate information on our services. They are required to follow a daily checklist as well as completing regular office duties.
- A well-rounded knowledge of computers and various programs;
- Excellent reading, writing and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work well with others;
- Ability to work independently;
- Confident in Decision Making;
- Ability to read between the lines;
- Ability to follow direction and instructions;
- Able to think outside the box;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task with ease;
- Ability to think on their feet in pressure and busy situations.
- BA or college diploma preferred
- Highly motivated, with the ability to take initiative and solve problems independently.
- The ability to learn quickly and continuously.
- The ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and produce high-quality results.
- Strong communication, organization, and time-management skills.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter to scribendi (dot) hr (at) scribendi (dot) com
As an In-house Writer/Editor, you will spend your days working on a broad range of documents, including technical, scientific, and medical materials, and especially documents written by ESL speakers. You’ll have a hand in managing the day-to-day editorial responsibilities, using your skills and expertise to monitor workflow and provide support to remote staff. You will also have the opportunity to work with the marketing department in researching and developing content for the company as well as take on special projects that allow you to use your creativity and writing skills. As one of our talented in-house staffers, you’ll receive a competitive wage, comprehensive health and dental benefits, paid training, a wellness stipend, and a flexible schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree; professional experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., APA, Chicago Manual of Style) is an asset
- Excellent reading comprehension skills and an eye for minute detail
- Excellent writing skills and a desire to use them in a professional capacity
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
An open communication style
A strong desire for professional development and the ability to show initiative
- You will be expected to work accurately, but above all quickly, as we have strict throughput requirements to meet our clients’ needs
Full-time (12-month contract leading to permanent)
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to scribendi (dot) hr (at) scribendi (dot) com
As one of our talented remote editors, you'll have the ability to work from home while choosing the types of assignments that interest you. You can interact with both in-house and other remote staff through online forums and company newsletters and memos, and you'll also receive free training and incentives that can be redeemed at online retailers. You won't have any of the hassle of bidding or pitching to clients, but you will have job security and be paid promptly.
Working with Scribendi requires a moderate level of computer and Internet knowledge. You need to be comfortable downloading and uploading files, attaching files to emails, saving and finding files on your computer, file transfers, renaming files, and using a website interface. You should have a good working knowledge of the major document file formats and their associated software programs. As we also sometimes get documents that misbehave, some ability to troubleshoot technical problems is helpful.
- A university degree in a relevant field
- At least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching
- English must be your native language
- Excellent reading comprehension skills, and the ability to follow written instructions and work independently
- Be absolutely fanatical about meeting deadlines
- An average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000-1,500 words per hour
- Microsoft Word 2010 on a secure PC (not Mac) computer
- Broadband/high-speed Internet access
- The ability to accept payments in your own account in US dollars using PayPal.com. Please review PayPal's international payment network for more details
- A graduate degree in a relevant field
- Access to additional word processing/document production software (e.g., Star/Open Office, Word Perfect, Open Office, LaTeX, Acrobat, iWorks, Publisher, PageMaker, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, APA, etc.)
Please note that applications for this position are NOT accepted by email. Please do not call or email for more information about a position or to discuss an application. Only applicants selected for evaluation will be contacted. If you have questions about telecommute positions, please see our Employment FAQ.