Scribendi is the world's leading editing and proofreading service. Our company mission is to help writers reach their highest potential and achieve their goals. Headquartered in Chatham, Ontario, we offer a corporate culture that promotes collaboration and encourages creativity and innovation. This is your chance to join an energetic and motivated team in an inviting environment founded on flexibility and continuous learning.
As a global company, we offer two equally beneficial employment options: working at our corporate headquarters in Chatham, Ontario, or working remotely from the comfort of your home.
Accounting Assistant/Office Administrator
Scribendi.com is seeking an energetic, creative, and motivated individual to fill the position of
Accounting Assistant/Office Administrator on a full-time basis for 12 months with the possibility for extension.
The successful candidate will be responsible for handling various aspects of accounting, including general
ledger, billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, account reconciliation, payroll, benefits, and
other reporting functions. He/she will also provide clerical and administrative assistance to HR
and senior management as well as various other duties.
The qualified individual will be organized, have good attention to detail, be able to multi-task with ease, and
be customer service oriented and reliable.
Experience with Sage/Simply Accounting is required; a business degree or accounting diploma is preferred.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter to scribendi (dot) hr (at) scribendi (dot) com.
As one of our talented remote editors, you'll have the ability to work from home while choosing the types of assignments that interest you. You can interact with both in-house and other remote staff through online forums and company newsletters and memos, and you'll also receive free training and incentives that can be redeemed at online retailers. You won't have any of the hassles of bidding or pitching to clients and you will have job security and be paid promptly.
Working with Scribendi requires a moderate level of computer and Internet knowledge. You need to be comfortable downloading and uploading files, attaching files to emails, saving and finding files on your computer, file transfers, renaming files, and using a website interface. You should have a good working knowledge of the major document file formats and their associated software programs. As we also sometimes get documents that misbehave, some ability to troubleshoot technical problems is helpful.
- A university degree in a relevant field
- At least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching
- English must be your native language
- Excellent reading comprehension skills, and the ability to follow written instructions and work independently
- Be absolutely fanatical about meeting deadlines
- An average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000-1,500 words per hour
- Microsoft Word 2010 on a secure PC (not Mac) computer
- Broadband/high-speed Internet access
- The ability to accept payments in your own account in US dollars using PayPal.com. Please review PayPal's international payment network for more details
- A graduate degree in a relevant field
- Access to additional word processing/document production software (e.g., Star/Open Office, Word Perfect, Open Office, LaTeX, Acrobat, iWorks, Publisher, PageMaker, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, APA, etc.)
Please note that applications for this position are NOT accepted by email. Please do not call or email for more information about a position or to discuss an application. Only applicants selected for evaluation will be contacted. If you have questions about telecommute positions, please see our Employment FAQ.