Useful Tools for Every Type of Writer
Many of Scribendi's editors are also writers. We aren't just passionate about editing; we're passionate about all aspects of writing. We spend time reading about the latest style guide updates, browsing popular blogs for great writing advice, and seeking out the best tools used by writers.
Over the years, we've compiled a list of some of the tools and websites we have found most useful, and we want to share them to help you become a better writer at every stage of the writing process, from researching to writing to publishing.
For Students and Academics
- Paperity is a multidisciplinary aggregator of open access journals and papers. Whatever your field of study, Paperity allows you to browse relevant research without hitting a paywall.
- PaperHive aims to simplify research communication, providing a platform for students and academics to discuss, annotate, and review collaboratively research papers and books.
- Overleaf makes the process of writing scientific and technical papers quicker and easier. It is an online LaTeX and rich text writing and publishing tool that is perfect for authors who need to collaborate in real time.
- Purdue OWL is a go-to resource for information about how to cite references correctly when using many of the most popular style guides, including APA, MLA, and the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Magoosh provides online test preparation materials for the SAT, MCAT, or anything in between. With the help of practice tests and video lessons, you'll be ready for the test in no time.
- Simplenote is a note-taking app that will help you capture, organize, and remember your story ideas so that when it comes time to write, you'll be ready to go.
- National Novel Writing Month, which takes place every November, gives you the opportunity to pursue the ambitious—albeit fun—goal of writing an entire novel in one month. It's a great way to find a community of writers for encouragement and motivation.
- WritingPrompts.com will help you win the fight against writer's block. Offering more than 100 pages of writing prompts, with new ideas added daily, this site provides inspiration and motivation to start writing.
- Helping Writers Become Authors offers ebooks, blog posts, a podcast, and everything else you need to become a better fiction writer and get your book published.
- Scrivener is a powerful writing platform for organizing your ideas and writing efficiently. It is particularly good for working with long documents, which makes it very popular among novelists.
For All Writers
- Inklyo.com helps writers in all fields improve their skills. The site's resources include courses, ebooks, articles, and more. If you need advice about writing, this is the place to go.
- The Write Life publishes daily blog posts giving advice related to writing, freelancing, publishing, and even marketing books.
- Grammar Girl has become an authority in the grammar world by consistently publishing clear, helpful, and fun grammar and usage tips. Scribendi even interviewed her once!
- LearnEnglish, a resource of the British Council, offers grammar and vocabulary lessons and courses. Although it is intended primarily for those who are in the process of learning English, it is also a useful resource for those who might need a refresher in English grammar or who are simply interested in the English language.
- Scribendi's blog and ebooks aim to help you become a better writer, whether you're writing your first essay or your first novel.
These links are provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion does not imply any affiliation or endorsement of the third-party products, services, information, or resources provided. We do not make any claim as to the quality or content provided through these links.