HTML Fixes for Kindle: Advanced Publishing for Kindle Books, or Tips on Tinkering with HTML from Microsoft Word or Anything Else So Your Ebook Looks as Good as It Possibly Can (Kindle Tech 3)
by Aaron Shepard
Kindle Edition: 103 pages
Publisher: Shepard Publications
****#1 KINDLE (US) BESTSELLER IN PUBLISHING & BOOKS (AUG. 2014)****
*******#1 AMAZON.COM BESTSELLER IN BOOK DESIGN (AUG. 2014)*******
******#1 KINDLE (US) BESTSELLER IN GRAPHIC DESIGN (AUG. 2014)******
**********************CURRENT VERSION: 2.3***********************
NOTE: PLEASE VISIT AARON'S PUBLISHING PAGE FOR ANY UPDATES TO THIS BOOK.
Have you ever opened a Kindle book to find that the font started out way too small or way too large? Have you tried to change to a different font while reading and discovered you couldn't? Have you jumped to a new chapter in a Kindle book and seen that the chapter heading lost its formatting? Has a Kindle completely ignored formatting you knew was in the book?
According to Amazon, the simplest way to publish your Kindle book is to upload an HTML file you've saved from Microsoft Word or another word processor. By itself, that method can bring you maybe 80% of the way to a well-formatted, trouble-free ebook. But what about the other 20%?
In this follow-up to his bestselling "From Word to Kindle," Aaron Shepard takes your saved HTML as a starting point and tells how to quickly tweak and tune it to avoid common problems. Assuming no knowledge of HTML, he introduces the basics of the language, then reveals how to use find-and-replace and macros to touch up an entire book in seconds!
If you're serious about Kindle publishing and you're technically inclined -- but not a full-fledged geek -- Aaron provides the tips you need to bring your Kindle book to the next level, making it something truly to be proud of.
Aaron Shepard is a foremost proponent of the new business of profitable self publishing, which he has practiced and helped develop since 1998. He is the author of "Aiming at Amazon," "POD for Profit," "Perfect Pages," and Amazon's #1 and #2 bestselling paid books on Kindle formatting, "From Word to Kindle" and "Pictures on Kindle."
1 ~ WORKING WITH HTML
HTML and Kindle | HTML Export | HTML Editing | HTML Processing | HTML Basics | HTML Checking | HTML Cleanup | HTML Testing
2 ~ HTML FIXES
Fixes for Fonts | Fixes for Paragraphs | Fixes for Headings | Fixes for Line Breaking | Fixes for Pictures | Fixes for Navigation
Here are some of the things you can accomplish through changes in HTML.
* Adjust bookmarks so headings retain proper formatting when jumped to.
* Remove settings that stop the user from choosing their own.
* Keep fonts from appearing much too small or much too large when the book is opened.
* Make sure indents and other spacing stays relative to larger and smaller font sizes.
* Avoid line breaks that leave short words dangling at the ends of lines or paragraphs.
* Make up for features lost in translation from your word processor, like nonbreaking hyphens.
* Stop "ghost hyphens" from appearing in the middle of words.
* Keep pages of text from disappearing for some users.
* Prevent the Kindle from applying its own defaults in place of your settings.
- Pictures on Kindle: Publishing Your Kindle Book with Photos, Paintings, and Other Graphics, or Tips on Formatting Images So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's) (Kindle Tech 2)
- From Word to Kindle: Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips on Designing and Formatting Your Text So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's) (Kindle Tech 1)
- Formatting of Kindle Books: a Brief Tutorial
- The Business of Writing for Children: An Award-Winning Author's Tips on Writing Children's Books and Publishing Them, or How to Write, Publish, and Promote a Book for Kids (Kidwriting 1)
- Createspace and Kindle Self-Publishing Masterclass - 2015 Second Edition: The Step-by-Step Author's Guide to Writing, Publishing and Marketing Your Books on Amazon
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.