How To Market A Book
by Joanna Penn
Kindle Edition: 266 pages
The first job of an author is, of course, to write great books, but these days, their second job is to market them.
** Top 5 Bestseller in Entrepreneurship, Small Business Marketing and #1 in Writing Skill Reference. From NY Times and USA Today Bestselling Author. Second Edition Sept 2014**
Marketing isn't a skill that most authors have naturally, and there is little formal training. But when your book hits the shelves, and the sales don't start rolling in, there's only two things an author can do. Keep writing more books and ... Get to grips with marketing.
This book is for authors who want to sell more books, but it's also for those writers who want to think more like an entrepreneur. It's for traditionally published authors who want to take control of their future, and for self-published authors who want to jump-start a career.
There are some short-term tactics for those who want to kick up immediate sales, but the focus of the book is more about instilling values and marketing principles that will help your long-term career as a writer.
It's also about going beyond just the book, because the methods in this guide can take you from being an author into professional speaking, making money from other products and creating opportunities that you can't even imagine yet.
There are no rules in this game, but learning this kind of authentic marketing has certainly changed my life, so read on and I'll share everything I know with you.
How To Market A Book covers an extensive range of marketing principles, strategies and tactics:
- Part 1: Marketing Principles - including myths, how to balance your time, co-opetition and generosity
- Part 2: Prerequisites for Success - including an understanding of yourself and your target market, professional editing and cover design, your book page on the retailer websites, pricing and the use of free
- Part 3: No Platform Needed - Short-term Marketing - including how to get book reviews, paid advertising, using traditional media and tips for TV, radio and press releases
- Part 4: The Author Platform - Long-term Marketing - including the reasons why a platform is a good thing, author branding, your author website, list-building and email marketing, content marketing and blogging, audio and podcasting, video and book trailers, social networking, professional speaking, and becoming an author-entrepreneur.
- Part 5: Launching Your Book - including how launching has changed, soft launch, launch spikes, post launch and relaunches as well as lessons learned from some major book launches. Plus/ tips for when you get overwhelmed and plenty more links to further resources.
˃˃˃ Updated Second Edition September 2014
Includes updated examples throughout, plus new chapters on the pros and cons of exclusivity, using box-sets and author collaboration, marketing with visual content, using ACX and marketing audiobooks.
Click to sample or buy the book now.
- Business For Authors. How To Be An Author Entrepreneur
- Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Publishing Book 2)
- Goodreads For Authors: How To Use Goodreads To Promote Your Books
- Let's Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should: Updated Second Edition (Let's Get Publishing Book 1)
- How to Make a Living as a Writer
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.