From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips on Designing and Formatting Your Text So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's)
by Aaron Shepard
Kindle Edition: 90 pages
Publisher: Shepard Publications
****#1 KINDLE (US) BESTSELLER IN PUBLISHING & BOOKS (JUNE 2013)****
*******#1 AMAZON.COM BESTSELLER IN BOOK DESIGN (NOV. 2013)*******
**#1 AMAZON.COM BESTSELLER IN MICROSOFT WORD GUIDES (SEPT. 2013)**
**********************CURRENT VERSION: 3.1***********************
PUBLISHER'S WARNING: THE TIPS IN THIS BOOK ARE ADDRESSED MOSTLY TO INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED USERS OF WORD. IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER, PLEASE FIRST READ AMAZON'S "BUILDING YOUR BOOK FOR KINDLE" OR "BUILDING YOUR BOOK FOR KINDLE FOR MAC," BOTH FREE IN THE KINDLE STORE. THEN READ THIS ONE TO FIND OUT WHAT AMAZON DOESN'T TELL YOU!
It's not hard to find instructions for converting from Word to Kindle -- but these instructions are usually less helpful than they could be. Many, for example, proclaim that Word's HTML output requires extensive alteration and cleanup before submission.
This advice is misguided. Some who offer it have drawn their conclusions after simply choosing the wrong export option. Others fuss about a moderate amount of excess code, not realizing that it doesn't increase file size enough to matter or that the Kindle ignores it anyway.
Other instructions will imply the opposite: that conversion is straightforward and just what you would expect. Supposedly, as long as you start with a properly formatted Word document, you'll wind up with a well-formatted ebook. Well, it doesn't really work that way -- not without a few techniques for tricking or bullying the Kindle into doing what you want.
In this book, Aaron Shepard offers his own tips for moving your document from Word to Kindle. You'll see the results for yourself, as Aaron's book is produced with the same techniques described in this and his follow-up books, "Pictures on Kindle" and "HTML Fixes for Kindle."
Aaron Shepard is a foremost proponent of the new business of profitable self publishing, which he has practiced and helped develop since 1998. He is the author of "Aiming at Amazon," "POD for Profit," and "Perfect Pages," as well as two other books on Kindle formatting.
1 ~ FIRST STEPS
Working with Word | Document Setup | Text Cleanup
2 ~ KINDLE FORMATTING
Special Characters | Font Formatting | Paragraph Styles | Paragraph Spacing | Paragraph Justification | Line Breaking | Page Layout
3 ~ SPECIAL ELEMENTS
Other Paragraphs | Lists | Tables | Text Boxes and Sidebars | Footnotes and Endnotes | Pictures
4 ~ NAVIGATION
Web Links | Internal Links | Tables of Contents | Menu Items
5 ~ FINAL STEPS
HTML Export | Book Covers | Book Data | Submitting and Previewing
- Pictures on Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Photos, Paintings, Drawings, and Other Graphics, or Tips on Formatting Your Images So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's)
- HTML Fixes for Kindle: Advanced Self Publishing for Kindle Books, or Tips on Tinkering with HTML from Microsoft Word or Anything Else So Your Ebook Looks as Good as It Possibly Can
- Is $.99 the New Free? The Truth About Launching and Pricing Your Kindle Books
- The Business of Writing for Children: An Award-Winning Author's Tips on Writing Children's Books and Publishing Them, or How to Write, Publish, and Promote a Book for Kids
- Free Kindle Book Covers: How to Use Amazon's Cover Creator to Make Free, Self-Published Kindle eBook Covers with Free Images from Amazon's Royalty-Free Gallery of Thousands of Stock Photos or Your Own
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.