Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
by Michael Bungay Stanier
Kindle Edition: 200 pages
Publisher: Workman Publishing Company
List Price: $10.95
You work hard. You put in the hours. Yet you feel like you are constantly treading water with "Good Work" that keeps you going but never quite moves you ahead. Or worse, you are mired in "Bad Work"—endless meetings and energy-draining bureaucratic traps.
Do More Great Work gets to the heart of the problem: Even the best performers are spending less than a fraction of their time doing "Great Work"—the kind of innovative work that pushes us forward, stretches our creativity, and truly satisfies us. Michael Bungay Stanier, Canadian Coach of the Year in 2006, is a business consultant who’s found a way to move us away from bad work (and even good work), and toward more time spent doing great work.
When you’re up to your eyeballs answering e-mail, returning phone calls, attending meetings and scrambling to get that project done, you can turn to this inspirational, motivating, and at times playful book for invaluable guidance. In fifteen exercises, Do More Great Work shows how you can finally do more of the work that engages and challenges you, that has a real impact, that plays to your strengths—and that matters.
The exercises are "maps"—brilliantly simple visual tools that help you find, start and sustain Great Work, revealing how to:
- Find clues to your own Great Work—they’re all around you
- Locate the sweet spot between what you want to do and what your organization wants you to do
- Generate new ideas and possibilities quickly
- Best manage your overwhelming workload
- Double the likelihood that you’ll do what you want to do
- Working Toward Excellence: 8 Values for Achieving Uncommon Success in Work and Life
- Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
- The Art of Power
- HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (Harvard Business Review)
- Sidetracked: Why Our Decisions Get Derailed, and How We Can Stick to the Plan
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.