Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling (BK Business)
by Edgar H Schein
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Berrett-Koehler Publishers
List Price: $16.95
Your Price: $10.79
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Communication is essential in a healthy organization. But all too often when we interact with people—especially those who report to us—we simply tell them what we think they need to know. This shuts them down. To generate bold new ideas, to avoid disastrous mistakes, to develop agility and flexibility, we need to practice Humble Inquiry.
Ed Schein defines Humble Inquiry as “the fine art of drawing someone out, of asking questions to which you do not know the answer, of building a relationship based on curiosity and interest in the other person.” In this seminal work, Schein contrasts Humble Inquiry with other kinds of inquiry, shows the benefits Humble Inquiry provides in many different settings, and offers advice on overcoming the cultural, organizational, and psychological barriers that keep us from practicing it.
- Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
- Organizational Culture and Leadership
- Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust & Get Extraordinary Results
- The Surprising Power of Liberating Structures: Simple Rules to Unleash A Culture of Innovation
- Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.