Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings
by M.D. Kenneth R. Ginsburg MD FAAP
Paperback: 398 pages
Publisher: American Academy of Pediatrics
List Price: $16.95
The handbook acknowledges that adolescents commonly survive stress by either indulging in unhealthy behaviors or giving up completely, and its suggested solutions are aimed at strengthening resilience. The proposed plan enables kids from the age of 18 months to 18 years to build the seven crucial "C's"--competence, confidence, connection, character, contribution, coping, and control--needed to bounce back from challenges.
A variety of approaches are featured such as building on natural strengths, fostering hope and optimism, avoiding risky behaviors, and taking care of oneself physically and emotionally. With new chapters on perfectionism, the negative portrayal of teens, military families, and what parents can do when resilience has reached its limits, this examination also includes two personalized guides for creating customized strategies.
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
- How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
- Teach Your Children Well: Why Values and Coping Skills Matter More Than Grades, Trophies, or "Fat Envelopes"
- Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings
- Mindsets in the Classroom: Building a Culture of Success and Student Achievement in Schools
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.