Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
by Christian Parenti
Paperback: 312 pages
Publisher: Nation Books
List Price: $16.99
Your Price: $11.27
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
In Tropic of Chaos, investigative journalist Christian Parenti travels along the front lines of this gathering catastrophe--the belt of economically and politically battered postcolonial nations and war zones girding the planet's midlatitudes. Here he finds failed states amid climatic disasters. But he also reveals the unsettling presence of Western military forces and explains how they see an opportunity in the crisis to prepare for open-ended global counterinsurgency.
Parenti argues that this incipient "climate fascism"--a political hardening of wealthy states-- is bound to fail. The struggling states of the developing world cannot be allowed to collapse, as they will take other nations down as well. Instead, we must work to meet the challenge of climate-driven violence with a very different set of sustainable economic and development policies.
- Globalization: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- Moving Millions: How Coyote Capitalism Fuels Global Immigration
- Garbage Land: On the Secret Trail of Trash
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate
- Africa's Odious Debts: How Foreign Loans and Capital Flight Bled a Continent (African Arguments)
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.