Fostering Grit: How do I prepare my students for the real world? (ASCD Arias)
by Thomas R. Hoerr
Paperback: 52 pages
Publisher: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
List Price: $12.99
Your Price: $10.96
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
For too long, educators have focused only on getting students ready for the next test, for the next grade, for graduation, or maybe for college. Students must be prepared to succeed in school, and they must know how to read, write, and calculate. But that's only the beginning. Our job whether we teach kindergarten, 5th grade, or high school or we lead a school or district is to prepare students for success in the real world. To do so, we must also teach grit. Grit is a combination of tenacity and perseverance a willingness to take risks even if it means sometimes failing and starting again. Knowing how to respond to frustration and failure is essential whether a student struggles or excels. Veteran school leader and popular Educational Leadership columnist Thomas R. Hoerr shows what teaching for grit looks like and provides a sample lesson plan and self-assessments, along with a six-step process applicable across grade levels and content areas to help students build skills they need to succeed in school and in life.
- Mindsets in the Classroom: Building a Culture of Success and Student Achievement in Schools
- Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings
- Teaching That Changes Lives: 12 Mindset Tools for Igniting the Love of Learning (BK Life)
- How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.