The Methods and Skills of History: A Practical Guide
by Conal Furay, Michael J. Salevouris
Paperback: 294 pages
List Price: $28.95
Your Price: $25.44
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Like its predecessors, the third edition of one of our most popular texts, The Methods and Skills of History: A Practical Guide, is a dynamic text/workbook that combines theory with "hands on" practice, providing engaging essays, documents, and exercises designed to make history more meaningful and accessible to student readers—whether they are majoring in history, taking a history course as an elective, or simply reading history on their own—as well as strengthen their critical-thinking and communication skills.
While this third edition retains the essence of its highly successful predecessor in the form of its practical, timely advice on research and writing and “field-tested” exercises, it features important modifications as well, including a reorganization of the chapters to progress even more smoothly from a theoretical discussion of the nature of history (Part I), to practical considerations involved in confronting historical accounts (Part II) to actually “doing” history (Part III). The final section (Part IV) provides a brief overview of how history as a discipline evolved and how it relates to other academic disciplines, as well as appendices that comprise interesting historical documents and helpful source references and bibliographies.
More to Explore: See More History Guides
- The Essential Historiography Reader
- History and Historians (7th Edition)
- Going to the Sources: A Guide to Historical Research and Writing
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Eighth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
- The Historian's Toolbox: A Student's Guide to the Theory and Craft of History, Third Edition
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.