Using Children's Literature in Preschool to Develop Comprehension: Understanding and Enjoying Books (Preschool Literacy Collection)
by Lesley Mandel Morrow, Elizabeth Freitag, Linda B. Gambrell
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: International Reading Association
List Price: $21.95
Reading aloud to young children is a critical aspect of their social, emotional, and intellectual development. When a teacher shares high-quality children's literature, preschoolers are exposed to much more than simply an oral rendition of a storybook. By listening to the rich language of books, preschoolers learn that books have meaning and begin to discover how that meaning relates to their lives.
In this second edition Using Children's Literature in Preschool to Develop Comprehension, authors Lesley Morrow, Elizabeth Freitag, and Linda Gambrell demonstrate the value of using children's literature in preschool and offer practical methods for helping young children enjoy literature and draw information from books. Fully revised and updated chapters show you how to:
design a classroom literacy center
Effectively read and tell stories to children
Engage preschoolers as storytellers
Help preschoolers comprehend stories and understand concepts of books
Integrate children's literature and comprehension into thematic and content area instruction
Strengthen the home-school connection with activities that you can share with parents.
New to this edition are ideas for storytelling and fostering comprehension, as well as updated book lists and ideas for professional development. Plus, new appendixes offer additional practical tools to help you create a rich literature environment in your preschool.
The International Reading Association is the world's premier organization of literacy professionals. Our titles promote reading by providing professional development to continuously advance the quality of literacy instruction and research.
Research-based, classroom-tested, and peer-reviewed, IRA titles are among the highest quality tools that help literacy professionals do their jobs better.
Some of the many areas we publish in include:
-Response To Intervention/Struggling Readers
-Research And Policy
- Oral Language and Early Literacy in Preschool: Talking, Reading, and Writing (Preschool Literacy Collection)
- Learning about Print in Preschool: Working with Letters, Words, and Beginning Links with Phonemic Awareness (Preschool Literacy Collection)
- Building a Foundation for Preschool Literacy: Effective Instruction for Children's Reading and Writing Development (Preschool Literary Collection)
- Writing in Preschool: Learning to Orchestrate Meaning and Marks (Preschool Literacy Collection)
- Assessing Preschool Literacy Development: Informal and Formal Measures to Guide Instruction
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.