The Writing Thief: Using Mentor Texts to Teach the Craft of Writing
by Ruth Culham
Paperback: 204 pages
Publisher: International Reading Association
List Price: $28.95
Your Price: $27.50
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
It's been said that good writers borrow while great writers steal. Writing thieves read widely, dive deeply into texts, and steal bits and pieces from great texts as models for their own writing. Ruth Culham admits to being a writing thief-and she wants you and your students to become writing thieves, too!
A major part of becoming a writing thief is finding the right mentor texts to share with students. Within this book, discover more than 90 excellent mentor texts, along with straight-forward activities that incorporate the traits of writing across informational, narrative, and argument modes.
Chapters also include brief essays from beloved writing thieves such as Lester Laminack, David L. Harrison, Lisa Yee, Nicola Davies, Ralph Fletcher, Toni Buzzeo, Lola Schaefer, and Kate Messner, detailing the reading that has influenced their own writing.
Ruth's beloved easy-going style and friendly tone make this a book you'll turn to again and again as you guide your students to reach their full potential as deep, thoughtful readers and great writers. There's a writing thief in each of us when we learn how to read with a writer's eye!
- The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
- Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits
- Mentor Texts: Teaching Writing Through Children's Literature, K-6
- The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
- Chart Sense for Writing: Over 70 Common Sense Charts with Tips and Strategies to Teach 3-8 Writing
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.