Franklin Pierce: The American Presidents Series: The 14th President, 1853-1857 (American Presidents (Times))
by Michael F. Holt
Hardcover: 176 pages
Publisher: Times Books
List Price: $25.00
Your Price: $17.00
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
The genial but troubled New Englander whose single-minded partisan loyalties inflamed the nation's simmering battle over slavery
Charming and handsome, Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire was drafted to break the deadlock of the 1852 Democratic convention. Though he seized the White House in a landslide against the imploding Whig Party, he proved a dismal failure in office.
Michael F. Holt, a leading historian of nineteenth-century partisan politics, argues that in the wake of the Whig collapse, Pierce was consumed by an obsessive drive to unify his splintering party rather than the roiling country. He soon began to overreach. Word leaked that Pierce wanted Spain to sell the slave-owning island of Cuba to the United States, rousing sectional divisions. Then he supported repeal of the Missouri Compromise, which limited the expansion of slavery in the west. Violence broke out, and "Bleeding Kansas" spurred the formation of the Republican Party. By the end of his term, Pierce's beloved party had ruptured, and he lost the nomination to James Buchanan.
In this incisive account, Holt shows how a flawed leader, so dedicated to his party and ill-suited for the presidency, hastened the approach of the Civil War.
- Millard Fillmore: The American Presidents Series: The 13th President, 1850-1853
- James Buchanan: The American Presidents Series: The 15th President, 1857-1861 (American Presidents (Times))
- Zachary Taylor: The American Presidents Series: The 12th President, 1849-1850 (American Presidents (Times))
- William Henry Harrison: The American Presidents Series: The 9th President,1841 (American Presidents (Times))
- John Tyler (The American Presidents Series: The 10th President, 1841-1845)
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.