The Craft of Research, Third Edition (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
by Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: University Of Chicago Press
List Price: $17.00
Your Price: $9.86
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Buy from Amazon
With more than 400,000 copies now in print, The Craft of Research is the unrivaled resource for researchers at every level, from first-year undergraduates to research reporters at corporations and government offices.
Seasoned researchers and educators Gregory G. Colomb and Joseph M. Williams present an updated third edition of their classic handbook, whose first and second editions were written in collaboration with the late Wayne C. Booth. The Craft of Research explains how to build an argument that motivates readers to accept a claim; how to anticipate the reservations of readers and to respond to them appropriately; and how to create introductions and conclusions that answer that most demanding question, “So what?”
The third edition includes an expanded discussion of the essential early stages of a research task: planning and drafting a paper. The authors have revised and fully updated their section on electronic research, emphasizing the need to distinguish between trustworthy sources (such as those found in libraries) and less reliable sources found with a quick Web search. A chapter on warrants has also been thoroughly reviewed to make this difficult subject easier for researchers
Throughout, the authors have preserved the amiable tone, the reliable voice, and the sense of directness that have made this book indispensable for anyone undertaking a research project.
- A Rulebook for Arguments (Hackett Student Handbooks)
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Eighth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
- Commentary and Reference Survey: A Comprehensive Guide to Biblical and Theological Resources
- The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition
- Writing for Social Scientists: How to Start and Finish Your Thesis, Book, or Article: Second Edition (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc.
and its affiliates used under license.