"So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia
by Susan Basalla, Maggie Debelius
Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: University Of Chicago Press
List Price: $14.00
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
With “So What Are You Going to Do with That?” Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius—Ph.D.’s themselves—answer all those questions with a resounding “Yes!” A witty, accessible guide full of concrete advice for anyone contemplating the jump from scholarship to the outside world, “So What Are You Going to Do with That?” covers topics ranging from career counseling to interview etiquette to translating skills learned in the academy into terms an employer can understand and appreciate. Packed with examples and stories from real people who have successfully made this daunting—but potentially rewarding— transition, and written with a deep understanding of both the joys and difficulties of the academic life, this fully revised and up-to-date edition will be indispensable for any graduate student or professor who has ever glanced at her CV, flipped through the want ads, and wondered, “What if?”
“I will absolutely be recommending this book to our graduate students exploring their career options—I’d love to see it on the coffee tables in department lounges!”—Robin B. Wagner, former associate director for graduate career services, University of Chicago
- A PhD Is Not Enough!: A Guide to Survival in Science
- Alternative Careers in Science, Second Edition: Leaving the Ivory Tower (Scientific Survival Skills)
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
- Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
- Nontraditional Careers for Chemists: New Formulas in Chemistry
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.