A Parisian Affair and Other Stories
by Guy de Maupassant
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Penguin Classics
List Price: $12.00
Your Price: $8.87
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Set in the nouveau riche Paris of society women, prostitutes, and playboys; in the Normandy countryside; and on the French Riviera where Maupassant had lived, the thirty-four short stories in this volume are among the most darkly humorous and brilliant in French literature. They focus on the complexity of close relationships: between lovers, as in the poignant fantasy “A Parisian Affair” or the touchingly ironical “The Jewels”; between siblings, as in “At Sea”; and between former partners, as in “Encounter.” They reveal two sides of human nature: its grace and generosity and also, as in “Boule de Suif,” its greed and hypocrisy. Piquant and varied, Maupassant’s stories lay humanity bare with deft wit and devastating honesty.
- Siân Miles's vibrant new translation is accompanied by an Introduction discussing Maupassant's stpries as a reflection of the rapidly changing beliefs of his society
- "The Necklace"—Maupassant's famous story not included in the previous Penguin Classics edition—appears in this volume
- Includes chronology, notes, and suggestions for further reading
- The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction, Compact 8th Edition
- No Exit and Three Other Plays
- Winesburg, Ohio (Norton Critical Editions)
- The Wall: (Intimacy) and Other Stories (New Directions Paperbook)
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.