Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry (Lange Medical Book)
by Robert K. Murray, David A. Bender, Kathleen M. Botham, Peter J. Kennelly, Victor W. Rodwell, P. Anthony Weil
Paperback: 818 pages
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Medical
List Price: $65.00
Gain a thorough understanding of the principles of biochemistry and molecular biology as they relate to modern medicine
Includes 16 case histories
Clear, concise, and in full color, Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry is unrivaled in its ability to clarify the link between biochemistry and the molecular basis of disease. Combining outstanding full-color illustrations with integrated coverage of biochemical diseases and clinical information, Harper’s offers an organization and careful balance of detail and brevity not found in any other text on the subject.
Following two introductory chapters, the text is divided into six main sections:
Section I addresses the structures and functions of proteins and enzymes.
Section II explains how various cellular reactions utilize or release energy and traces the pathways by which carbohydrates and lipids are synthesized and degraded.
Section III covers the amino acids, their metabolic fates, certain features of protein catabolism, and the biochemistry of the porphyrins and bile pigments.
Section IV describes the structure and function of nucleotides and nucleic acids, DNA replication and repair, RNA synthesis and modification, protein synthesis, the principles of recombinant DNA technology, and new understanding of how gene expression is regulated. Section V deals with aspects of extracellular and intracellular communication.
Section VI includes fifteen special topics, ranging from nutrition, digestion and absorption to the biochemistry of aging
New to this edition:
- New chapters on Aging, Cancer, and Clinical Chemistry
- Every chapter has been updated to reflect the latest advances in knowledge and technology
- Each chapter now begins with a statement of objectives, followed by a brief discussion of the biomedical importance of topics discussed within the chapter
- 250 multiple-choice questions to test your knowledge and comprehension
- Increased number of tables that encapsulate important information, such as vitamin and mineral requirements
- Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examination With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 7e (Textbook of Physical Diagnosis (Swartz))
- Langman's Medical Embryology
- Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine
- Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 14e (Turnpenny, Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics)
- Mims' Medical Microbiology: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 5e (Medical Microbiology Series)
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.