How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines
by Thomas C. Foster
Paperback: 314 pages
Publisher: Harper Perennial
List Price: $15.99
What does it mean when a fictional hero takes a journey?. Shares a meal? Gets drenched in a sudden rain shower? Often, there is much more going on in a novel or poem than is readily visible on the surface—a symbol, maybe, that remains elusive, or an unexpected twist on a character—and there's that sneaking suspicion that the deeper meaning of a literary text keeps escaping you.
In this practical and amusing guide to literature, Thomas C. Foster shows how easy and gratifying it is to unlock those hidden truths, and to discover a world where a road leads to a quest; a shared meal may signify a communion; and rain, whether cleansing or destructive, is never just rain. Ranging from major themes to literary models, narrative devices, and form, How to Read Literature Like a Professor is the perfect companion for making your reading experience more enriching, satisfying, and fun.
- Becoming Who You Are: Insights on the True Self from Thomas Merton and Other Saints (Christian Classics)
- Literature: The Human Experience Shorter Edition: Reading and Writing
- The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel
- Catholic Social Teaching: Learning & Living Justice
- AMSCO's AP Literature and Composition: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.