They Say, I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
by Gerald Graff, Cathy Birkenstein
Paperback: 245 pages
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
List Price: $25.00
The book that demystifies academic writing, teaching students to frame their arguments in the larger context of what else has been said about their topic–and providing templates to help them make the key rhetorical moves.The best-selling new composition book published in this century, in use at more than 1,000 schools, They Say / I Say has essentially defined academic writing, identifying its key rhetorical moves, the most important of which is to summarize what others have said (“they say”) to set up one’s own argument (“I say”). The book also provides templates to help students make these key moves in their own writing.
The Second Edition includes a new chapter on reading that shows students how to read for the larger conversation and two new chapters on the moves that matter in the sciences and social sciences. line drawings
- A Pocket Style Manual, Fifth Edition
- "They Say / I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing (Third Edition)
- "They Say / I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing with Readings (Second Edition)
- Thank You For Arguing, Revised and Updated Edition: What Aristotle, Lincoln, And Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion
- The Glass Castle: A Memoir
Scribendi offers Books and Software in association with Amazon.com. Portions copyright Amazon Inc. and its affiliates used under license.